One shovel at a time can move a mountain…or a pile of soil. It took me a week but it is finally done!
Ten yards of soil – the equivalent of 90 full wheelbarrow loads – have been ferried about the property and the driveway is empty once again.
We went from this….
Back to this…
I not only filled the five new beds…
I had enough left over to top up all the other beds and (was there ever any doubt?) create several more smallish beds here and there!
I made some narrow beds along the west backyard fence for more peas and we moved the compost bin to the other side of the yard, freeing up a sunny space behind the shed for a raspberry bed.
But oh, look at that pathway! What a trampled, muddy, mess. I would love to put some flagstone along there, but one thing at a time. As it were, we kept leap frogging about on our projects this week.
In the middle of moving all the soil, Darcy put a couple windows in our garden shed.
It went from this…
And finally to this!
Now it feels a bit more like a potting shed with the added bonus that I am no longer left groping around in the dark when the wind blows the door shut.
With Darcy having his table saw etc set up in the backyard while he installed the windows, and me weaving my way around with the wheelbarrow, the yard felt more than a tad cramped.
At one point, as I was weaving my way through the maze, my somewhat loud observation was that our yard was perhaps starting to look more than a bit ridiculous.
“You can barely move, it’s nothing but garden beds everywhere. Our yard is way too small for all of this.”
“It’s not too small,” said Darcy. “It’s an efficiency garden.”
Now I can’t get “efficiency garden” out of my head. It makes me smile. I definitely have a step saver efficiency garden.
And for better or worse, this little piece of ground is starting to grow on me.